I admit that I am a minimalist and in my ideal world I would rock up to the hospital with a bottle of water and car seat and walk out with a baby. However I appreciate I can’t do this. So what do I really need in my hospital bag? I have pulled together my list of necessities and then added an enhanced list. After all these days they seem to want you in and out a lot faster!
Essential basics (bare minimum), yes I really do think this is the do or die list:
- Baby: Car seat
- Baby: Nappies
- Baby: Swoddling blanket
- Mum: YOUR NOTES!
- Mum: Pants
- Mum: Something to give birth in (lose clothing/bikini)
- Mum: Water
- Baby: Vests/baby grows/hat?
- Baby: cotton wool
- Mum: Period-pads/After-birth pads/Breast pads
- Mum: Lip balm
- Mum: Slippers
- Mum: Food/drink & bendy straws
- Mum: music/entertainment
- Mum: Change of clothing for the journey home
- Mum: Something to keep your hair back
- Mum: Something to go home in
- Mum: Wash kit
Partners and dads… seriously, they’re old enough to sort themselves out! I jest (in part), but their list (hubby I hope you’re reading this):
- Partner: Map… the route to the hospital + alternatives
- Partner: Money for parking & food
- Partner: Batteries for TENS unit
- Partner: The food mentioned above
- Partner: Lighter clothing in case the labour ward/birthing unit is baking
BOOM! Of course there are even more things you can add to the list: massage oil, fan, face cloth, chargers etc but if you’re going in at 4cm dilated I can’t imagine you’ll have the time to hang out and partake of all the other creature comforts you’ve packed.
- Preparing for Baby: What’s in My Hospital Bag? (somethingtoconsiderblog.com)
- Time to Pack Your Bags! No you’re NOT going on a vacation – You’re having a baby! (ctworkingmoms.com)
- Packing the Daddy Go Bag (parenting-success.com)