Due to my sore nips I had to start considering formula early on. I felt totally guilty because of course everywhere you look you’re told breast is best up til 6 months. But I have given myself a break;
Babycentre confirm that breast milk is great due to the vitamins, nutrients and is packed with disease-fighting substances. However they have also confirmed that any amount of breastfeeding is still beneficial! Phew!
- Breastfeeding helps protect against: stomach viruses, lower respiratory illnesses, ear infections, and meningitis. ‘These occur less often in breastfed babies and are less severe when they do happen.’
- Breastfeeding is seen to reduce the risk of infant mortality by 20% within the 1st year
- Colostrum gives the most protection (immunity) as it has the highest amount of secretory immunoglobulin A (IgA) however it also exists in mature milk but in smaller amounts.
- Your breast milk is specifically tailored to your baby.
- It can reduce a child’s risk of developing certain childhood cancers.
- It can also reduce diseases later in life: type 1 and type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and inflammatory bowel disease, high blood pressure as well as allergies.
- Alicia Silverstone Starts Breast Milk Share Program Through Her Blog, Despite FDA Recommendations Against It (medicaldaily.com)
- Breast Milk for Adults in China (theepochtimes.com)