I keep hearing about it. At 4 months 10 days we’ve had no signs… yet (apart from outgrowing her baby-grows) I’m hoping she doesn’t ‘catch it’. (I appropriately hear my baby crying from her cot)
WHAT IS IT: Your baby got them into a nice nap and sleep routine and suddenly it all changes and baby doesn’t sleep like they used to. Apparently a whole bunch of stuff is happening around this time: they are becoming alert for longer/more aware of their surroundings, their sleep cycles are changing and they are most likely going through a growth spurt! 4 main indicators are:
- Increased fussiness
- Multiple night wakings
- Reduced naps or “disaster naps”; and
- Changes in appetite…
- (And I would also suggest they start looking like incredible hulk in their clothing)
WHAT’S UP WITH THEIR SLEEP CYCLE: New borns mainly have deep sleep. Around 4 months their sleep cycle is also introduced to active sleep/REM. When a baby enters REM they have a startle reflex which will wake them up. So unless they know how to soothe themselves and fall back to sleep they will look for other help getting back to sleep.
5 tips to help:
- Go with the flow but keep them in a routine of sorts and babies respond well to structure
- Jump on your baby’s sleeping cues and get them down when they show the signs!
- Consider introducing them to being put to bed ‘drowsy’ but still awake
- Be mindful of creating a new sleeping crutch
- Offer lots of hugs and kisses