Day 270: Mummy melt-down

Happy Valentine’s Day! And Happy Birthday of course to Lo-Lo.

Can’t lie. Yesterday was tough.

New born babies tend to be a bit of a handful at the start. Mainly because you don’t really know what to do with them and even second time round I think it will still be just a case of survival in the initial weeks. In addition I think it takes a while (cue the 4th trimester) for the baby to get used to being outside the womb, to settle into themselves. In my case, Lo-Lo happens to also be quite noisy (hence the nick-name). So I’ve used many different coping mechanisms over the months but the key one for me was giving her a routine. It meant she got enough sleep, food and I could count down the moments until she was due a nap – you know, the light at the end of the tunnel. Evening time I also got relief in the form of hubby to do the last feed and bath. Always appreciated. But at nearly 9 months, this is something new.

The last few days we’ve had a culmination of a few things. Lo-Lo has been teething with her 5th tooth. Her schedule’s been out a bit. She has been going through the clingy phase so she will not go to anyone else (except hubby) and HAS to be held by me, only me, otherwise she will scream the house down. Hubby has had to work late 2 days in a row. I know 2 days in a row is not bad, but when you feel stuck and your ears are bleeding it feels never-ending. As I think anyone who has had a teething, clingy baby can tell you, caring for them is tricky because you can’t do anything – you just have to hold them. Not only that, but you have to entertain them… constantly… for about 9/10 hours a day. Add the physical part to holding & carrying them for most of the day and the screaming (a form of torture) I will admit it was tough. On hearing that hubby might be home late for the 3rd night in a row, I had a mini melt down. I know I had a mini melt down because I started arguing with the hoover and my ears felt exhausted. Hubby texted to say he could come home early as he knows it had been a tough 3 days so far, I acquiesced. I didn’t want to be weak, show I couldn’t cope, feel embarassed knowing some mothers have several kids and can deal with them. But I sent a whimpering text back saying ‘Yes Please’. It wasn’t healthy for either of us, I was stressed and angry. So hubby came home and I left him to it. I needed to be out of earshot of my girl and just away so she would not need me.

I can report I was happy, balanced and ready for action again today. It took me almost 9 months to have an ‘ENOUGH!’ moment which I guess is not bad, but I can definitely say, bringing up kids is not easy.

This entry was posted in Baby, Health and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s